The police use radar guns to detect speeding and enforce traffic regulations to ease traffic situations and increase road safety. Radar detectors are electronic devices that help in giving audio, visual alerts to drivers to prevent them from speeding in such areas, and help them avoid any speeding/ rash driving records by the law enforcement department.
So, are these devices legal? The question of legality of consumer radar detectors has always been vague and subjective. However, the truth is that most of the top radar detectors available today are legal and approved of in many countries. They are becoming increasingly popular because they increase driving efficiency and convenience. When you are looking at the best radar electronic instruments in the market, it is important that you familiarise yourself with some common features and functions to know what to expect.
- The top instruments in this segment have a very good range and warn drivers before their vehicle is detected by the police radars for speeding. These detectors need to have a fairly-long range to effectively provide alerts with or without obstacles around.
- The most popular brands in this segment give a fairly- decent percentage of authentic signals and the number of fake signals is comparatively less. They are more sensitive and selective.
- They are portable and easy to install and operate.
- Most of the good electronic detectors in the market are GPS- enabled and usually sound out alerts of approaching speed cameras and traffic signals within their detection range.
- Look for POP system of detection in your radar device. This system forewarns you of other vehicles being scanned for speeding and helps you to bring your vehicle well within the speed limit in a good time and distance.
- The latest instruments come with auto-learn feature which helps mark false alarm spots. This allows them to be more accurate and prevent annoying false triggers.
The technology used in radar detection is constantly evolving and becoming more sophisticated and reliable. Check for the common features and functions of the latest models and choose one that works well for you.